At 22:10 +1100 11/23/05, Kennedy, David wrote:
>We all know that SE/30 PDS cards can be stacked if one of those cards has a
>pass-through socket.  But this makes me wonder how the PDS really works.

PDS stands for Processor Direct Slot.

There may be some buffering but the general concept is that a PDS device has
access to the actual pins on the microprocessor chip. Software running on the
processor access memory locations that are not present in RAM but the PDS
"client" recognizes the address and provides or accepts data as required.

The speed of the PDS is the same as the processor and there are no impedance
matching line drivers for the likes of a few inches of cable. The loading limit
on the lines is only what the processor supports.

In short, it's a cheap way to get a bit of expandablity, a bit like the old
spring clip that connects to the pins of a 48 pin DIP 68000.

--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--