Solerman Kaplon replied to me directly but I think the reply was meant of the list. Either way his analogy is a good one IMO.

Colin Guthrie wrote:
If you want to work on compiz tho' and discuss your ideas for new plugins etc. the best place is either this list or the forums over at http://www.compiz.net/ - this is the home of the Quinn Compiz semi-fork of compiz which has many user submitted modifications to compiz to make it do more fancy stuff NOW!! We all know an appreciate that David et. al. have larger plans for Xgl/Compiz and while it has really been quite amazing that so many people have wanted to make compiz better, a lot of their contributions do not fit right now with the direction of the main program, hense why the Quinn Compiz version was created. It's not really a fork, as it tries to keep up to date with the vanilla version too, it's more like a "instant gratification" branch :)

I think a good analogy is that Quinn's version is like Andrew Morton kernel tree. Lots of (experimental) things goes there, but it doesn't mean they will go as is to the main kernel. Eg: they may need some massaging, or need a rewrite, but gives a good place for ppl to test and try these.

Solerman