Recompiling PHP may seem like a lot of hassle to begin with, but once you get
used to it, its a lot quicker and easier than trying to hunt down versions and
modules for you distro.

If you run PHPINFO() the 3rd from top entry should tell you the ./configure
command which was used to build your PHP, I'm not sure if this will also
include modules which were compiled separately though.

If it does, then you should be able to download the latest PHP and use the same
configure command, with little or no changes - Note you may have to install
some developers libs for things like curl, libxml2 etc, if you get any errors
then just google for them and chances are you'll find a hint to what your
missing.

I use the following on our servers, it was recently updated to allow usage of
the EZC graph libraries -

'./configure' '--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--enable-bcmath'
'--enable-calendar' '--enable-ftp' '--with-mysql' '--enable-discard-path'
'--with-pear' '--enable-sockets' '--with-zlib' '--with-gd' '--with-curl'
'--enable-bcmath' '--enable-sigchild' '--enable-sockets' '--with-curl'
'--with-curlwrappers' '--enable-soap' '--with-openssl' '--with-kerberos'
'--with-mysql' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-mysqli' '--enable-zip'
'--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/lib/' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir'