Am Freitag 20 Juni 2008 09:46:51 schrieb Gaetano Giunta:
> > Do you have reasons, why you worry about the ".php"?
>
> Windows!
> You can set up the equivalent of the hashbang there, but afaict almost
> nobody does. And no execute bit, means people invoke scripts using "php"
> on the command line (technically double clicking could work, but it
> makes hard to read the output ;) Plus people are so used to seeing the
> .php extensions they would be puzzled to find a php file that does not
> have it - in the past the .inc extension already messed up way too much
> with this.
> I also always run the php cli using a different ini file than the web
> version on unix, so the command looks more like /usr/local/bin/php5 -c
> /etc/php5/cli - this is going to happen esp. when you have lots of
> different php installs on one box.
> Shell scripts are a bit different imho: 1- they were used without suffix
> from day one, and 2- they do not have an ini file with a ton of options
> anyway
>
> just my 2c
> Gaetano

Hi Gaetano,

I'm sorry, but you'll definitely, don't win any sympathy with me for windows
compatibility. I even do not understand, why somebody should dare to use
windows for any working purpose anyway. :-)

I've now searched "shebang windows" and understand that you would have to
invoke the commands (I rather call them neutral commands then scripts) with:

php ezc-command

This works even with the shebang in the file, which is simply ignored by
windows.

I vote to skip the ".php" extension to remind windows user that their OS is
not intended for any other usage then gaming, especially not responsible
development.

Best regards,
--
Thomas Koch, Software Developer