On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, James Pic wrote:

> Kore Nordmann wrote:
> > - Controllers only return some view structure, which may contain semantic
> >   information about the data to display or information about the template to
> >   use.
>
> Did you mean: may *not*?
>
> > - The "view router" decides on base of that, what view to actually use.
> >
> > - (HTTP) redirects are also "just" some view structure, which is returned by
> >   the controller, and the view actually performs the proper action depending
> >   on the context.
>
> Do we want the controller to set HTTP headers in the output object?
> I'd say that the view-manager should take care of figuring the
> response code by itself.

Yes, I think this should be up to the view/view manager.

> However, we might want to standardize some
> common UI needs, like with a list of user-messages or something like
> this: "sorry, you don't have the permission to do something". "Sorry,
> please try again later" ...

Yes, perhaps - although those will never show for normal redirects
obviously.

> > Request Parser
> > ==============
> > Filtering for common actions on every request, for example checking for
> > authentication and sessions.
>
> Should the request parser identify the user making the request?
> I though that we decided to do this in the controller.

Yes, we did.

> > Filters can be set on the controller, which are
> > called first and work on the input - modify, action being run at all ...
>
> Callbacks? Or a filter configuration? How deep do we want this?

I think that when adding a filter to a controller/default controller,
they should be callbacks to other classes/methods. This allows us to
provide filters in tie-in components (such as for
authentication/identification).

> > The actions should have access to the request data, for example to render
> > links to the app back etc. The request parser should not do user
> > identification, this belongs in the controller.
> >
> > The user cannot be authorized on the request level, as you'd need some kind
> > of
> > model / backend to validate the provided data. The user data of course needs
> > to be extracted at this stage and provided to the controller.
> >
> > The "user" object should be accessible in the view as well, to allow for
> > anonymous/authenticated.
>
> Do we want a user interface or something like that? (to make the code portable
> and testable)

Not sure what you mean here, could you provide an example?

regards,
Derick
--
Derick Rethans