On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Derick Rethans wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Roderik van der Veer wrote:
>
> > I'm caching every page in the site, for 1 year, and a few minutes
> > after startup the framentation starts and increases gradually until
> > the server goes down. I don't understand why there is fragmentation to
> > begin with, the cache is not full, the cache lifetime is 1 year long
> > so nothing should get tossed out. The only information i found online
> > describes fragmentation when the cache is full.
>
> This seems indeed strange. I'll see if I can have a chat with the APC
> developers about this. I don't think this is anything that we (ez
> components team) can do about unfortunately, as we just call APC's
> store() and fetch() functions.

I just spoke to the guy, and apparently the issue is a too high rate of
insertions by multiple processes concurrently. If every process uses the
same APC key to store, they conflict and only one of them wins and the
other leave a "hole" in the memory space. This should not take the
server down though. He says he's already working on improving this, and
this should hit CVS soon (ie, before the end of the month). He also
suggests that you try the current CVS version of APC to see if that
already solves the taking down of the server. Could you perhaps try
that?

regards,
Derick