Hi,

I recently thought about the Debug & EventLog Components and had a look
at the Issue Tracker. There are several issues that attracted my
attention. Derick added the issue "Investigate on how to improve the
Debug and EventLog components" (http://issues.ez.no/IssueView.php?Id=14090).

In my opinion the Debug component should be retired completely in favor
of the EventLog component. The loss of the HTML output is imo not a
problem as there is a better alternative: FirePHP
(http://issues.ez.no/IssueView.php?Id=13614).

Custom HTML output or other more application specific things could be
done with the ezcLogStackWriter by Thomas Koch if somebody would need
that (http://issues.ez.no/IssueView.php?Id=14104).
Could this be added to the next version btw.?

What do you think about adding method overloading for the different
severity levels ($log->info(), $log->debug(), ...)?

Open questions:
  * How do we integrate logging of Exceptions and tables (arrays) into
    the existing API (maybe only usefull for usage with FirePHP)?
  * How do we add some timer functionality to EventLog?
  * Do we need to bundle the FirePHP class for a EventLogFirePhpTiein?
    In the Pear Package the dependency could be added easily as there is
    a PEAR channel for FirePHP.

With this email I'd like to start a discussion about the improvement of
the EventLog component especially by getting FirePHP support. What do
you think?

Regards,
Andi