On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Andreas Schamberger wrote:

> I recently thought about the Debug & EventLog Components and had a look
> at the Issue Tracker. There are several issues that attracted my
> attention. Derick added the issue "Investigate on how to improve the
> Debug and EventLog components" (http://issues.ez.no/IssueView.php?Id=14090).
>
> In my opinion the Debug component should be retired completely in favor
> of the EventLog component. The loss of the HTML output is imo not a
> problem as there is a better alternative: FirePHP
> (http://issues.ez.no/IssueView.php?Id=13614).

I wouldn't mind adding support for this, but I know very little about
FirePHP. At the moment it's marked as "Open for Contributions".

> Custom HTML output or other more application specific things could be
> done with the ezcLogStackWriter by Thomas Koch if somebody would need
> that (http://issues.ez.no/IssueView.php?Id=14104).
> Could this be added to the next version btw.?

I'll add it to the list to check out, but can't promise anything right
now as there are other priorities.

> What do you think about adding method overloading for the different
> severity levels ($log->info(), $log->debug(), ...)?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea... makes the API easier to use I think.
Care to file an enhancement for this?

> Open questions:
>   * How do we integrate logging of Exceptions and tables (arrays) into
>     the existing API (maybe only usefull for usage with FirePHP)?

Have an example of this perhaps?

>   * How do we add some timer functionality to EventLog?
>   * Do we need to bundle the FirePHP class for a EventLogFirePhpTiein?
>     In the Pear Package the dependency could be added easily as there is
>     a PEAR channel for FirePHP.

Unfortunately, we can't bundle anything because of the CLA, whether we
can add a dependency on the pear channel we'll have to see -- but that
might work. It would not be able to be autoloaded in its entirely I
suspect.

> With this email I'd like to start a discussion about the improvement of
> the EventLog component especially by getting FirePHP support. What do
> you think?

I wouldn't mind to have it at all... I think it's much better than
having to render the output at the end of the request.

regards,
--
Derick Rethans
eZ components Product Manager