The problem with this suggestion as far as eZ Publish is concerned, is
that it makes little sense in the translation workflow, which goes
like this:
- write templates and php code with i18n-calls
- run ezlupdate to scan these files, fetching literal source, context
and comment strings, and insert/update a .ts-file as needed
- have a translator translate the .ts-file

With variables there is no source string for ezlupdate to find. The
best it can do then is to insert translation messages without source
string (or context or comment, if they too are variables). This makes
the .ts-file useless for the translator - there is nothing to
translate.

You can add strings manually to your .ts-file, and they will work in
eZ Publish templates and php files with variables. But you loose the
ability to get automatic updates into the .ts-file. That's why I
recommend to instead put those i18n strings in your templates or php
files somewhere. They don't have to be visible to the end user, they
can even (for the time being) be inside a tpl comment.

In order to have true support for i18n variables, we would need to
update the .ts-files at runtime (during a page load in eZ Publish, for
example). This is of course a performance problem.

If we disregard the needs of eZ Publish, and consider that with the
Components you could for example have your translations in the
database rather than an XML file, then I can understand this request.
It will be up to the Components team to handle it.

best regards,
Gunnstein Lye
Systems engineer
g...@ez.no | eZ Systems | http://ez.no