During the main search, pass is always one of the moves searched, and if is
the best move found, and pass is allowed, it will play a pass.  I never
avoid searching "pass" in the main search since it gives a good lower bound
on the score.  If the search returns "pass" too early, I'll play the second
best move instead.

Many Faces of Go uses the following rules:

- pass is always allowed if the opponent passed on the previous move
otherwise
- pass is allowed if the move number is at least half the board size (181 on
a full size board) and the pass search found no good moves for the opponent.

Before I do the main search for the color to move, I do a pass search for
the opponent, to find good opponent moves if the color to move passes.
These moves are searched early in the main search.  I'm trying to find
killer moves early.

David