Le mercredi 29 novembre 2006 14:21, Don Dailey a écrit :
> I have heard this many times - but it doesn't always apply.   In fact I
> have heard that IMPROVEMENTS always look better against your
> twin-brother but if that were true, I would always want to test against
> my twin since it makes improvements stand out.  It's hard to measure
> small improvements so this would be like using a microscope to help me.
>
> But unfortunately a change can help you beat your twin but make the
> program worse against other opponents - but I have only occasionally
> seen this be a big factor although I admit it does happen.   I just
> think the effect is exaggerated by people.   A general rule is that if
> you are better against Joe, you are "probably" better against Fred.

Agreed.
Some version ago a "cosmic-gnugo" option was introduced (playing huge
moyo following Takemiyia Masaki 9p cosmic style), and it was
significantly stronger against standard GNU Go, but weaker against other
opponents.

As it is not an improvement (lose against other), this "microscope effect"
at least showned a weakness in the standard version (not abble
to counter a cosmic strategy). This is usefull.

Alain