On 29-nov-06, at 08:43, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:

Other tricks for faster java include ensuring that, wherever possible, you use the final, static and private keywords. This enables the compiler to apply more compilation tricks in more places.

More and more I find that using 'final' or 'static' to have no effect on speed at all. Most of the time the compiler figures out it can treat a method as final or static. I don't think I have found a case were explicitly putting it helped recently. Since the classes are loaded dynamically, I've always found this a bit of magic of the compiler. Somebody must have implemented something clever.

Mark