It's been my experience that the bigger the project, the less difference
it
makes if you use a high level language.

There are some awesome high level languages that are very good for quick
and
dirty programming tasks.   But the advantage seems to go away as soon as
you have
a substantially larger project.

The first time I wrote a chess program using an assembler I assumed it
would
take forever - after all this was very low level programming.   I cannot
honestly
say it took that much longer than doing it in C - once you get up to
speed it
doesn't seem particularly tedious.  It's certainly not what I expected.

For years I have searched for the ideal language and only recently have
discovered that ideal language is probably the lowest level language you
think
you can get comfortable with.   For me, C is pretty close.

Although I occasionally do things in many languages,  I have gravitated
towards 3 main languages when I have a choice, C, ruby and tcl.   One of
those is usually what I want depending on what it is I am doing.

The very quickest way to get something done that is not substantial -
for me
is to write a ruby script.   Python would be pretty much similar - they
are
very similar languages.

Java doesn't do anything for me for the very reason you stated.   I
might as well
program in C.   It's just not that high a level language for me to leave
C, and
when I want something high level I reach for an actual high level
language.

Java just feels very heavy to me and I like it lean.   My mental image
of running
a java program is several seconds of hard disk activity while I wait
patiently and my desktop slowing down to a crawl.

- Don