There's also the small issue of the compensation given to white
because of the extra black stones on the board. Setting a modified
komi would break (MC-)programs with an internal rule for it. Not
setting it would break those who does not use that rule.

How is this compensation handled by the various programs on cgos, if at all?

Check http://www.britgo.org/rules/compare.html#comp if you don't know
what I'm talking about..

//Christian