I was always taught in Chess to play the board, not the player.
But in principle this is wrong if your goal is to increase your
chances of winning the game.

The problem with playing your opponent is that if you don't know
the proper technique for doing this, it will distract you from
the real game.    For weaker players, it's enough to just "play
the board",  anything beyond this will hurt their play.

What most people don't understand is that playing your opponent
doesn't mean that you suddenly start playing risky unsound moves.
Playing your opponent is a very careful and controlled process
that should not involve a radical change of playing style.

It involves waiting for mistakes, not making them.  You will
try to encourage these mistakes, but not at great risk to
yourself.   Also, you must never underestimate your weaker
opponent.

I mention this because there have been a few posts that imply
that you should play normally, change nothing, and just wait
for the mistake.   In fact, this is almost correct,  most of
the moves should be like this.    If you don't know what you are
doing ALL the moves should be like this.   But if you want to
actually maximize your winning chances, you need to be more
sophisticated than this.

At least this applies in Chess.  I'm sure this must apply to
GO too.

When books and experts
say "don't play the opponent" they are giving beginner
advice.   Most beginners can't handle this.   It should be
done in very carefully measured ways.    It's obviously
counter-productive to start playing high risk moves and
throw soundness out the window.    But that doesn't mean
there is nothing you can do to take advantage of a weaker
opponent in a losing position.

For most people, the advice to "just play the board" is
going to protect them.   Playing the opponent is a skill
and weaker (chess players) screw up big time when attempting
to do this.

I'll give one example from chess:

  What do you do when your opponent is in time-trouble?
  How do you "play the opponent" and capitalize on this?

  The knee-jerk reaction is to play extra quickly, to deprive
  him of thinking on your time.

  This is foolish.  Your opponent will be at his best with the
  extra adrenaline kick.   If you play fast you will be at your
  worst.

  The adrenaline rush will wear out your opponent, so in such
  a situation it is better to play normally or even EXTRA SLOW.
  In fact, if I see my opponent is excited, I take my sweet time,
  forcing him to stay at attention a very long time.   If I have
  a choice between complicated and simple positions, I take the
  complicated position IF and ONLY IF I am totally comfortable
  with it.  After all I have more time to figure it out.   I won't
  play unsoundly just to get a complicated position though.

  The better players are not really that handicapped when under
  time pressure - they remain highly focused and do not let
  themselves get too excited - no point in helping them along
  with rash moves.    YOU are the one that must remain calm and
  stay 100 percent focused.   I did not have to lose very many
  games that way to figure this out.

There are many other ways to take advantage of your opponent in
chess that I consider sound if applied in a very measured and
careful way.   None of them call for making truly unsound moves,
especially when you consider that in a losing position, all moves
are unsound in some sense.    Now you are in a situation of
"risk management",  you are looking for moves that give you the
best chances of winning (a lost game) and usually, it requires
a move that makes it the most difficult for your opponent.  This
is not quite the same as moves that make it easiest for you, which
is what you look for in WON positions.

Weaker players cannot do this.  They are best just sticking with
the style that is most comfortable for them.

- Don