>My plan was to simply use the same scheduling algorithm I currently
>use.  I would take the weaker "base" player and see if handicap
>versions of himself more closely matches the ELO rating needed to
>give an even game.

I assume the same method of an updated engine connecting with a new
login still applies?

>Another way is that when a player is first created, several handicap
>versions spring into existence and I treat them all the same.
>They are all just unrated entities.   It this case the scheduling
>algorithm would have to change - since 2 handicap players cannot
>play the same game.  But then it's possible to have serious
>mismatches, which the handicap system is supposed to try to solve.

That sounds like a bot can not play itself.  There's also the issue
that a bot can only have on opponent per connection to CGOS.  A raw
engine and an engine with handicap, for example, can't have games going
on simultaneously.  When treating the handicap versions as completely
separate entities, that seems like the biggest problem to me.  (That's
also what led me to thinking of a two stage match-up routine)