I used the Python version and it worked almost perfectly on the first try -- thanks! Here's the command I used:

python /Applications/gnugo-3.6/interface/gtp_examples/twogtp.py -- black '<path to my program here>' --white '/usr/local/bin/gnugo -- mode gtp --quiet --level 1 --never-resign --chinese-rules --capture- all-dead' --verbose 2 --komi 7.5 --size 9

It played out the game, but at the end this happened:

Black passes
   A B C D E F G H J
9 O O . O . O O O . 9
8 O O O O O O . O O 8
7 . O O . O O O . O 7
6 O O O O O . O O . 6
5 O O O O O O . O O 5
4 . O O . O . O O . 4
3 O O + O . O O . O 3
2 O . O O O O O O . 2     WHITE (O) has captured 51 stones
1 . O . O . O . O O 1     BLACK (X) has captured 0 stones
   A B C D E F G H J

Game 1: W+88.5 ERROR: GTP Command failed: unknown command
Game 1: ERROR: GTP Command failed: unknown command W+88.5
White: 3.400s CPU time

I interpret this to mean that the script sent "W+88.5" as a GTP command to my program, which of course didn't understand it. Is this standard GTP or something specific to GNU Go? Would a reasonable response be to silently acknowledge any command whose second character is "+"?

(Lest Orego's honor be besmirched, I should clarify that I was only allowing Orego one second per move while testing out the protocol. Hopefully it won't get wiped off the board by GNU Go level 1 if I give Orego more time.)

Peter Drake
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Lewis & Clark College
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/