In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Olsson
wrote:
> Can Go be used to increase a person's aptitude.

       Their aptitude for playing Go ? Certainly.
       Their aptitude for doing anything else - now that's a much more
difficult question. And much more interesting.

       My suspicion would be that if you tested carefully in a
population of novice players and then in the same people later, after
they'd reached significant playing strength, then you'd find
statistically significant changes in some cognitive abilities. What
those changes are might well be a valid consideration for designing
computer Go systems, making the discussion relevant here.
       I'm not a psychologist to give formal names to those cognitive
abilities, but they'd involve the ability to carry and work with
multiple simultaneous hypotheses, to maintain parallel streams of
rather similar data (game sequences for evaluation) ... but in addition
to such "precision" abilities are also broader "creative" or
"synthetic" abilities, where a player can conceive of the general
thrust of a solution ("how do I invade that side?"), but the details
get worked out later as the situation clarifies.

       Certainly these aptitudes are of wider applicability than to
games. But interviewers have known that for a long time, which is why
they ask applicants to talk about their interests outside the job (or
studentship) that they're applying for.

--
 Aidan Karley,
 Aberdeen,  Scotland