In chess UCI has widely replaced xboard. I think UCI is better than xboard.

Chrilly
----- Original Message ----- From: "Joshua Shriver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "computer-go" <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] GTP3 should be UGI

Sounds good, but the xboard protocol is also very nice.
Though a UGI sounds like a good step.

-Josh

On 4/11/07, Chrilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am implementing currently for the Suzie-GUI GTP-2. I think this protocoll
has a number of shortcomings.
a) There is only a very strange way to setup an arbitrary position.
b) A state must be maintained between moves.
c) There is no way to get a main-variaton and the score of a move (Not yet invented in most Go-programms, but a must have for search based programms).

UCI is the "Universal Chess Interface" originally developed by Stefan
Meyer-Kahlen and Rudolf Huber (see attached specification). It has become
the defacto standard in chess. This interface is in my opinion much better
than GTP.
I think GTP-3 should be modelled as close as possible to UCI. The
move-format has to be changed and the parameters "komi" and "boardsize" have
to be added.
The format to setup a position has also be changed slightly. An adaption can
be found in SuzieFen.txt.

There is no need for a handicap command, because this is just a special case
of setting up an arbitrary position.

Chrilly