> No one plays 9x9 go.  There is no literature on 9x9 theory, and almost no
> examples of professional play.

9x9 *is* played by professionals, at least in Japan, but naturally with
neither big prize money, nor students wanting to pay to learn it, it is
not played that seriously, and usually with quick time limits.

The best source of 9x9 professional games is the Mini-go TV series,
which finished a few years back, but should have close to 700 games if
you can track down the complete set. There is even a book published of
the game records. The closest I've managed to get to that is I know
someone who has received a photocopy of it...

As I've said before, when, for instance, a 9-dan and a 3-dan would meet
on the TV program, it was almost always the 9-dan who would win. Both
players would generally show knowledge of 9x9 opening theory (*),
meaning it is either studied behind closed doors, or (more likely) that
they were regular viewers!

Darren

*: Playing a move that the commentator would call "bad" in the first
half a dozen moves was rare. The games were almost always decided by
life and death mistakes or minor endgame mistakes (which is why the
weaker professional dan player generally lost).