some tree heuristics good, some tree heuristics bad.

s.

----- Original Message ----

From: Peter Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:53:03 PM

Subject: Re: [computer-go] Progressive unpruning in Mango 19x19

This interesting -- it implies that the place to use the heuristics IS in the
tree rather than in the playouts.

 Peter Drake

http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

On May 24, 2007, at 8:50 AM, Chaslot G (MICC) wrote:

 Dear all,

I did experiments on  19x19 Mango with 25000 simulations per move, against
GnuGo 3.6 level 0.

Without progressive unpruning, Mango wins 2.9% (250 games), and with
progressive unpruning, Mango wins 31% (400 games).

I proposed progressive unpruning in this paper:
http://www.cs.unimaas.nl/g.chaslot/papers/pmcts.pdf

Simultaneously, Remi Coulom proposed the same thing in this paper:
http://remi.coulom.free.fr/Amsterdam2007/ under the name “progressive widening”.

Question for native English speakers: do you think this technique is best
described by “progressive unpruning” or “progressive widening”?

Cheers,

Guillaume