While grafting is almost always something foreign ( "scion" ) wed to a root
stock, there are examples of arborscuplture, where all parts of the graft
appear to be of the same stock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Neadle.jpg

On the other hand, the method under discussion appears to be a method to
reverse one's decision to prune a branch from a tree. Unless there is some
sense of changing the "natural" shape of the tree, I'd go with "widening" as
the simplest explanation.

( I am heading out of town for a week. I have promised myself to study the
papers in question during my free time. )

I may even have time to consult an AI text -- I know I've heard of "iterative
deepening", and I wonder if
the same text covered "iterative broadening" as well?

By the way, a paper dealing with "minorization" was recently posted. That word
is not exactly on the list of 100 most common English words; in fact, it
probably wouldn't make the "top 100,000" - I had to do a bit of googling to
find the definition of "minorization" and "maxorization". For the edification of
anyone else in the same muddle, I offer the following URL:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/topic-14975.html

I'm not complaining - the words "minorize" and "maxorize" appear to be accepted
mathematical terms, with clear definitions; they're less well-known to the rest
of us, that's all.

Cheers!