How would you define modern AI? Obviously it is not the classic approach to
mimic humans anymore. But what is it?
For me it is when "we" (I was not there :-)) become less philosophical
and more precise about what we want. We want a system which use data
to improve itself in order to adapt to unseen situations.
In this sense the Elo-System is an AI algorithm. If you feed more data/games the quality of prediction increases. It is in fact a weakness of the Elo-Rating that this is not taken into account (newer systems like TrueScore do). Remi used an Elo-Rating (Bradley-Terry model) for his pattern classifier. In this broad sense UCT is AI, but I would classify it as a branch of applied statistics. Bradley-Terry was invented long before the name AI was coined.

What do we learn about the human mind from UCT?
Nothing and that's not the goal, I simply don't care.
You are already fallen from grace :-) You just want to make a strong Go-programm and develop some good - general purpose - algorithms :-). (There is a famous article of Donskey&J.Schaeffer with the title "Falling from Grace" in 1989).

Chrilly

P.S.: I am frustrated in the sense that you book for holiday a **** hotel and when you arrive, you see that it is - according your standard - only **. This has in my case a very positive and not at all frustrating background. I get in the moment a lot of interesting and well paid offers for contracts (its a little bit selling the Hydra-"fame"). Humans adapt quick to higher standards and I am therefore not satiesfied anymore with the Go-hotel I have booked last year.