Christoph Birk wrote:
              // Loop to do #1 above
              while (p != singletonSimplePass){
                      if (numMoves < keepMax)
                              moves[numMoves] = p;
                      workingCopy.play(c,p);
                      c = c.enemyColor();
                      p = randomLegalMove(c, workingCopy, twister);
                      numMoves++;
              }

Do you really stop the simulation after a single pass, ie. when
one side has no more move to play but the other does?
I believe that this would end many games before they are (really) over
and that might lead to false results in the simulations.

Christoph

Actually, that's the only difference between housebot-621-amaf and hb-amaf-alt. alt is playing games all the way to the end like you suggest. Looking at the win rate against ego110_allfirst, it looks like it may be doing a bit worse (but more samples are needed). It's unfortunate that ranks that low vary so much based on which bots are on CGOS.

In the future, I'll probably offer the option to do either method. My logic behind stopping at the first pass is that it's highly unlikely to form life in the void from captured stones. Since capturing the stones would increase the length of the game and isn't very likely to change the outcome of the game, I figured it'd be a good compromise.