Christoph Birk wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Jason House wrote:
My logic behind stopping at the first pass is that it's highly unlikely to form life in the void from captured stones. Since capturing the stones would increase the length of the game and isn't very likely to change the outcome of the game

But how do you score game, if there are still stones to capture?
Do you assume everything's alive?

No. Stones in atari are considered dead. All stones in atari will be owned by the side that passed. It works for almost all cases, but I realize now there are some situations with ko that could be scored wrong...