That should do nicely. Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Álvaro Begué <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:31 pm
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Crazystone patterns

Remi keeps a number that is the sum of all the probabilities (I'll
all them that, although they are not normalized so they add up to 1)
nd also one number per row that is the sum of the probabilities of
he points in that row. Now you pick from the distribution of rows,
nd inside the row from the distribution of points, and it can be done
ast.

 is not expensive. A table of move urgencies can be > > > updated
 incrementally after each move: only a few change. In fact, my program became
 faster when I introduced 3x3 patterns > for the random simulations. I can
 pre-compute a lot of information indexed by pattern shape, that are useful
 to detect eyes > > > and move legality. From memory, Crazy Stone does about
 5k playouts / second from the empty position on 19x19, on one 3 > > GHz CPU,
 which is "only" about 5 times slower than libego, if I remember correctly.

  > Rémi

 Suppose I can generate scores for all of the moves quickly enough. I still
 face the problem of quickly choosing a move biased by the scores. Tournament
 selection is fast, but that is a function of relative ranking of the scores,
 not the values of the scores. Roulette wheel selection gives me an answer,
 but it is slow slow slow, the way I implement it anyway. Can anybody
 describe a good way to do this?

  - Dave Hillis