The version source I am looking at, does all-as-first and considers 7/8
of the moves.

The exact code for maximum move number to consider is:

  max = p->ctm + 2 + ( ecount - (ecount >> 3) );

where max is maximum move number (or ply of game) and
ecount is the number of moves executed in the play-out.
p->ctm is the current move number in the game that we are
doing the play-out for.

Then I tally up the stats for each move by the computer but only
if the computer was the first to play the move.

You should experiment a little to get the best settings but this
depends somewhat on the level.   For 1000 sims 7/8 is probably
better than the 5/8 I told you previously, which was apparently
the wrong number or I have the wrong source code.

- - Don