>From my conversations with dan-level players, analysis in the fuseki is not
>broad. They'll consider a handful of moves at any point - should I play in the
>open corner first, or respond to an approach move, or make my own approach
>move? Candidate moves are chosen from a small set of patterns - mostly 3rd and
>4th line plays. The evaluation function is approximate - do I have more
>influence and profit than my opponent or not?

Behind this higher-level analysis is an understanding of tactics - a good
player knows not only that a particular play is joseki and another is not, but
knows why; knows how to follow up to gain local advantage; how to give up a
little to gain something more. If this sort of knowledge could be grafted
together with the extensive search capabilities of computer programs,
especially on the multicore architectures now becoming available, dan-level
programs should be in reach.