I think how 5x5 was solved was part of a thesis.  I don't have the URL or
author handy.

7x7 is semi-solved by a bunch of dans, but no formal proof of its
correctness is available.

I believe that past work used brute force alpha-beta with transposition
tables.  5x5 was made tractable by detecting living groups as early as
possible.  Sorry that I don't remember any more details on that.

I'm also pretty sure that Aloril had a bot called GodBot that relied on
perfect information.