From: Álvaro Begué <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:04:41 AM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Language

On Nov 14, 2007 10:54 AM, steve uurtamo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I just wanted to point out that free() is not a system call. The heap is
> handled by the
> C library, and the OS is mostly not involved in it.

my bad.  thanks.  :)

in that case, i'm impressed that i can do 2GB allocations.

Well, the process has some memory assigned to it, and the C library will ask
for more when it runs out (most likely when you allocate 2GB), but most calls
to malloc() won't result in a system call, and I don't think a call to free()
ever results in a system call. The details of how more memory is acquired
depend on the platform. You can get a very good idea of how all of this works
by reading section
8.7 of "The C programming language", by Kernighan and Ritchie.

Álvaro.