Joshua Shriver wrote:
> I've been looking into GPGPU for several years now, there was even some buzz
> in the comp-chess stream but the downsides seemed to be to much. Think the
> big problem is the latency on the PCI/AGP bus. Though that might not be as
> much an issue now with PCI-x, etc.

Thanks. My question could've been rephrased as "Can a basic alpha-beta
searcher for chess be written to run on a GPU?". Can I take the above to
mean "Yes, but the overhead of calling it took too much time"? Or were
they putting some smaller part of the chess algorithm (e.g. leaf node
evaluation or move sorting) on the GPU? (In which case I can see how
communication overhead would drown out the performance gain.)

> For more info I'd refer you to this site which has been using GPU's for
> years.
> http://www.gpgpu.org/

Thanks, yes, that is a useful site. However I don't see anything related
to tree search.

Darren