I've been looking into GPGPU for several years now, there was even some buzz
in the comp-chess stream but the downsides seemed to be to much. Think the
big problem is the latency on the PCI/AGP bus. Though that might not be as
much an issue now with PCI-x, etc.

For more info I'd refer you to this site which has been using GPU's for
years.
http://www.gpgpu.org/

-Josh