On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 04:08:48PM -0500, Don Dailey wrote:
> Would you rather be 95% confident of a win or 90% confident?    There is
> only 1 correct answer to that question.

Yes, if you can offer me reliable confidence numbers. We all (should) know
that MC evaluations suffer from systematic problems that can not just be
averaged away statistically.

Compare these two positions:

playout_benchmark 10000
= Initial board:
komi 7.5
   A B C D E F G H J
 9 . . . . . O O O O 9
 8 O O O O O O O O O 8
 7 O O O O O O O O O 7
 6 O O O O O O O O O 6
 5 # # # # # # # # # 5
 4 O O O # # # # # # 4
 3 O O O O . # # # # 3
 2 . O O O . # # # . 2
 1 # . O O . # # . # 1
   A B C D E F G H J
Performance:
  10000 playouts
  0.032002 seconds
  312.481 kpps
Black wins = 1937
White wins = 8063
P(black win) = 0.1937

playout_benchmark 10000
= Initial board:
komi 7.5
   A B C D E F G H J
 9 . # . . . O O O O 9
 8 O O O O O O O O O 8
 7 O O O O O O O O O 7
 6 O O O O O O # # # 6
 5 # # # # # # # # # 5
 4 O O O # # # # # # 4
 3 O O O O . # # # # 3
 2 . O O O . # # # . 2
 1 . . O O . # # . # 1
   A B C D E F G H J
Performance:
  10000 playouts
  0.084006 seconds
  119.039 kpps
Black wins = 7746
White wins = 2254
P(black win) = 0.7746

Which one is better, 77% or 19%?

I must admit I don't quite understand the results myself. But they are made
with LibEGOs MC, so I trust they show what traditional MC simulation would
see. The top group is "obviously" alive but can die in a MC simulation. The
bottom group is "obviously" unsettled, so who ever plays there first should
win the game. I suppose in some follow-ups, white may be able to live in the
resulting space, and win the game that way too.

This has nothing to do with the argument of attacking the larger group first,
rather the contrary. But it shows that MC evaluations can give results so
badly off that there is not always much point in distinguishing between your
80% and 85% confidence.

Regards

   Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk