Isaac Gouy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> - are you thinking of specific methodological objections?

Yes, quite some methodological objections. To be fair: I'm no expert
in this field and I haven't looked on the site for quite some time.

But benchmarks are really hairy, it's really easy to measure much more
hardware than compiler aspects, people are very different in
proficiency (in one case I heard even about rejection of a faster
version of a benchmark in one language -- but I don't remember if this
was on alioth or another language comparision compilation of
benchmarks). If there aren't really tight rules and quite some top
experts in benchmarking involved, I wouldn't trust any single
number... but that's just me and YMMV.

> "We must make do with the imperfect evidence that we can find, not
> merely lament its deficiencies."

Yes, that's true. But language shootout are much overrated und I doubt
that there are any deep insights in there. So yes, I think I'm
dismissive.

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.