There are two reasons to consider suicide and its detection..

1) Some rule sets allow suicide. In such a rule set a suicide can
be the best move because it can be a huge ko threat.

2) As David Fotland has pointed out many times, when competing
under rules that allow suicide, some programs will do one just to
see if your program refuses to play when you detect its suicide.

Cheers,
David