On Jan 22, 2008 2:50 PM, Mark Boon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 22-jan-08, at 11:21, Don Dailey wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > I think it's Petri who was the condescending one.
> >

> Well, you could see it as condescending if someone pooh-poohs 9x9 Go.
> But then one should argue that if you'd want to. But to pretend by
> deduction he also claims 17x17 or 19x19 are not interesting, like
> Erik did, is putting words into his mouth and then go say "look what
> silly things he's saying". I really don't like that.

Pretend?? So where lies the fundamental divide between 19x19 and 9x9?
If anything, in the last couple of years most of the progress in
Computer Go came from 9x9.
Some dinosaurs claimed it wouldn't scale up because it was a
completely different game...

The problems Petri sketched are well known and solutions already
exist. The fact that most programs have not implemented those
solutions yet does not mean a fundamentally different approach is
needed for 19x19.

E.