Hi Erik,

> In the ICML version of UCT without RAVE, you did not use your First
> Play Urgency, right?
>
> I think that using FPU has an effect similar to what others reported
> with their progressive widening. From what I've seen it looks like
> plain UCT, without FPU or progressive widening, has more to gain from
> RAVE.
>
> Am I wrong to assume that the strongest version of Mogo before you
> introduced RAVE used something like FPU or progressive widening?

You are right, but the effect of terms which were before is by far
negligeable. It may definitely be possible that stronger use of
knowledge like the progressive widening make the effect of RAVE much
less interesting. It was not our case at that time. I am also not sure
that it is the main reason of failure for people who tried and report
a small improvement. Of course, there can be so many reasons that it
is difficult to find out without looking at the implementation in
details :/.

Best,
Sylvain