On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Don Dailey wrote:
What you are trying to do is more in the category of opponent
modeling.    You want to optimize for the case that you might
occasionally salvage a game against an opponent that is much weaker than
you but is beating you anyway.

No, absolutely not. The idea of following the 0.5 pt loss is always
true, even if the opponent is of comparable strength.

strength level.  If your program KNOWS it is losing by 0.5 points,  then
it's reasonable to expect that your opponent does too, especially given
the fact that he just outplayed you.

I think you are too much of "chess player" :-)
The fact that he is 0.5  point in the lead does not imply he is
(much) stronger. Any player, in particular a human player, is capable
of the making a mistake. So it is important to stay on the 'small'
losing line. That might a difference to chess, where there is no
'small' loss.

So at best you hope your opponent will make a stupid mistake in an
obviously lost position for you.

No, the opposite. Not a stupid mistake; I am hoping for the subtle
mistake. But you throw that opportunity away If you play "desparate"
moves just because you think you will lose the game by 0.5 points.

There is nothing wrong with this,  if it's what you want to lose sleep
over,  but how much do you expect to gain from it?     I see people
getting excited about this idea as if it's the holy grail of computer go
and will add 50 ELO or more.

Nobody called this the "holy grail" ... but I agree with you that
there  are bigger problems in computer Go ...

Christoph