On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:47:55PM +0200, Norbert Gábor Papp wrote:
> I want to remove dead-stones which means :
> [...]
> I'm interested in the function dead(), which is true when a stone is dead
> after both player pass,and the game is ended.

The simple answer is that there is no such function!

Most Monte-Carlo programs play the game out to the bitter end, when they can
assume that all stones on board are alive, and all territory is segmented
into one-point eyes. Then it is trivial to see who owns what.

The alternative is to collect the stones into groups, and check which groups
have (or can make) two eyes. This gets quite complex. Even humans make the
occasional mistake in evaluating the position after both have passed,
especially beginners.

Some say that the game should never reach the point of counting, since at
some point the loosing part will see that he can not win, and will resign on
the spot. I think it will be a long time before programs can do that with
confidence...

-H

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk