The problem doesn't go away but the trade-offs change considerably. This is an
interesting and relevant discussion, but if I were trying to code up light MC
playouts for the first time, right now, I would be feeling that this
dead-simple algorithm was actually very difficult and confusing.

For someone in that position (and only them), my advice is
1. Implement light playouts first. It's simple; you will find many bugs that
way; it's standardized enough that other people will understand what you're
talking about; it's a fast way to get a basic bot; it will be a very handy
thing to have as a baseline when you test other things.
2. Get it working the standard way before improving it. It's your baseline that
you'll be testing improvements against.
3. Make it fast but don't spend excessive effort optimizing. "Better is the
enemy of good enough."

- Dave Hillis