Hmm.. I dunno.. I think there are a lot of ideas floating around but some
miscommunications.

So the aim is to devise a computer that will beat the strongest human
players of go.

I hear that "Monte-Carlo with UCT is proven to be scalable to perfect play".
It seems that this is essentially saying... that as the sample size for this
technique grows to infinity.. you will approach the accuracy an algorithm
that has solved go (in the sense that 5x5 was solved)... kind of like
creating the entire game tree. That this curve approaches perfect play as
you increase the samples to infinity. Same goes for drawing out the entire
game tree. It just seems that MCwUCT is a lot easier.

This however speaks nothing about the rate at which it approaches perfect
play as you increase the sample size. I didn't see anything in the papers I
have read about this. Which brings us to what our aim is.. and that is to
beat human players at go. Nothing has been proven yet about practical
scalability... which is what we would like. Scalable in the sense of
approaching infinity alone does not prove that it is not intractable. And it
was said that the Mogo devs said that a double-strength version beats the
other one with 63%. As they mentioned... ideally... this would mean about 30
years. But there could be a point of diminishing returns as it relates to
beating a human.

When you say that is it proven scalable to perfect play... it is like saying
that we know that if you create every possible game... and have a database
that can access it well... you can get to perfect play. This does not help
us actually do it.