On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Gian-Carlo Pascutto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Boon wrote:
>
>> Not an expert on AB-search or UCT search but there's a subtle
>> difference I think. In AB search, if some processors have been
>> searching in a branch that is subsequently cut off, the work is 100%
>> wasted. In UCT there's no such black-and-white cutting. If you do
>> sampling in what then turns out not to be the optimal branch, further
>> sampling in the optimal branch may cause the UCT-value to drop to a
>> point where you'd otherwise start sampling the sub-optimal branch
>> again. So in that case you gain back part of the 'wasted' work.
>>
>> I'm also inclined to think that the 'chunks' of work that are wasted
>>  tend to be larger for AB-search than for UCT. But I'm not 100% sure.
>
> The problem is that the optimal settings for UCT appear to be much stronger
> on the exploitation side than on the exploration side, making it much more
> likely that such work is really wasted.
>
> It is not so obvious to me any more what the differences are between a state
> of the art UCT searcher (i.e. with nearly no exploration) and a state of the
> art alpha-beta searcher (i.e. with heavy late move reductions).

One might consider heuristics like AMAF, pattern knowledge, etc. to be
simply a more effective way to guide exploration. The UCB term has no
domain-specific knowledge. It works surprisingly well but it should be
no surprise that one can do better with domain-specific knowledge.

> They both just hammer out the mainline deeper until the score drops a bit,
> or an alternative rises strongly.
>
> UCT without exploration is just minimax, no?

The move/path selection behaves like a best-first minimax, but where
are the min/max operators in the updates?

Erik