> There is however a new kid on the block that is pretty impressive and
> manages to beat C/C++. ATS (Applied Type System) also emits C but due to
> the structure and type system the code is pretty specialized and
> optimized to beat any sane and optimized C program.

ATS does the binary-trees test 6.2 times quicker than C++ but 2.7 times
slower on k-nucleotide (which seems to be about making hash tables):
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ats&lang2=gpp

Ah, looking at the CPU load column it seems the C++ version of
k-nucleotide uses multiple cores...
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=knucleotide&lang=all

Yes, it uses "#pragma omp parallel sections default(shared)":
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=knucleotide&lang=gpp&id=1

And now I look at the ATS implementation of binary-trees, it is using
threads, while the C++ version is single-threaded.

Lots of apples and oranges comparisons here :-).

Darren

http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese-Arabic
                        open source dictionary/semantic network)