Don Dailey wrote:
Speaking of which, wouldn't it be better to limit consecutive Kos instead of
limiting consecutive 1-stone captures?

Wouldn't this definitely slow down most if not all light implementations
and require code changes to existing programs?   My own programs do not
really know that a ko exists until it decides to make that specific
move.  Then when it tries to play that move the make() routine discovers
that it is was a ko and reject it, returning an illegal move value.
To fix this I would have to test every move just to see if there is a ko
situation (although there are no doubt some shortcuts.)

I detect simple Ko at the time of the legal capture. I'm curious how you do it at the time of the illegal capture attempt. How do you tell a legal 1-stone capture from an illegal one?