On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Gian-Carlo Pascutto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ian Osgood wrote:
>> (For that matter,
>> it isn't a foregone conclusion that they are better; GNU Go won the 2008
>> US computer go tournament against a field MC programs.)
>
> Believe me, in match long enough to exclude pure luck, with the MC
> programs running on something faster than a Pentium 4, it IS a foregone
> conclusion.

I second that. It has been clear for quite some time now that the old
guard would have absolutely no chance. They do not show up because it
would be embarrassing (and probably hurt their sales).

On 9x9 the strongest MCTS programs currently break even with GnuGo
using only a few hundred simulations per move (so these programs are
both faster and stronger). On 19x19 this number increases to some
thousands of simulations but still their performance per clock-cycle
is better than for traditional programs. In addition to this the new
programs scale up excellently with more computational resources.

Erik