> So you say that: "...I'm observing that most of the increase in level
> comes from the selection during exploration and only in small part
> from the selection during simulation.", could you elaborate at all?
> This is very interesting.  That almost suggests it might be fruitful
> to use the patterns in the tree, but keep lighter playouts.

If I understand David Fotland [1] (and you) correctly this is the same
approach Many Faces uses. Keep the playouts light, but it is worth
spending effort to guide the MCTS tree.

I also think Remi was saying the same in his paper [2] on using move
patterns. E.g. in section 4.1 he says he just used a few features in the
simulations, but used all the features to control the "progressive
widening of the monte-carlo search tree" (section 4.2).

Darren

[1]: http://www.mail-archive.com/computer-go@computer-go.org/msg09759.html

[2]:
http://remi.coulom.free.fr/Amsterdam2007/

http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese-Arabic
                        open source dictionary/semantic network)