On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 05:17, Mark Boon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I had set myself as an arbitrary goal that it should do at least 20K
> playouts. But with real liberties, AMAF and a RAVE formula I got stuck in
> the 16K-17K range. According to my profiler that is mostly due to the
> expensive formula used to compare nodes, where it says it spends 25% of
> total time. The formula I'm using is:
>
>        beta * (virtual-win-ratio + RAVE) + (1-beta) * (win-ratio + UCT)
>
>        beta = 1 - log(parent-visits) / 20
>        UCT = exploration-factor *sqrt( log(parent-visits) / (nr-visits+1) )
>        RAVE = exploration-factor *sqrt( log(parent-visits) /
> (nr-virtual-visits+1) )

Hi,

This is probably something you already do, but just in case you don't,
here comes a simple optimization trick: since parents-visits is an
integer value and in a somewhat bounded range (0..max_playouts), the
logarithm can be precomputed in a table. Then even sqrt(log()) can be
precomputed also. Similarly, a table with sqrt(integer()) can be used
for the other values.

best regards,
Vlad