Hello David,

David Fotland: <00ca01c95fa2$5ee6bb50$1cb431...@com>:
>Thank you for the results.  Thank you for providing a machine and letting
>Many Faces participate, even though I could not travel to Japan.

Thank you for the participation and a very excellent and interesting
game against Crazy Stone at the semi-final.

Although Tei and Aoba Professionals explained the match at the
front stage with a projection, the game was so complicated that I
couldn't see which is winning until near the end.  Another semi-final
match, my Fudo Go vs Katsunari, also was shown on the screen but in a
small picture at upper right corner and had explained very shortly.
Yes, all the people, including me :), were concentrated on your game
and exciting.

>Is it true that the final was a single elimination tournament, and not a
>Swiss tournament?  It seems that Many Faces never played Fudo Go.  In future
>tournaments, please consider using the Swiss tournament system.  Most people
>would agree that it gives more accurate results.

You're right.  The final of UEC Cup is not Swiss.

Thank you for the comments.  As I'm not a staff of the tounament I
can't say anything about its future but I'll tell the staff your
comments.

I agree it's less accurate but personally I don't think it's better to
use Swiss style for the final.

I guess the major reason not using Swiss style is the larger number of
participants (24 this year) and the shorter time (two days including
an exhibition match) of the tournament than for example Computer
Olympiad.

For the accuracy, we have the Olympiad which is Swiss or even round
robin this year.  I don't think we need other tournaments of the same
style.  I'd like to add, even with single-elimination, all the people
understood MFG was clearly stronger than Fudo Go or Katsunari by
watching the games.

Also, this style, Swiss for the preliminary and single-elimination for
the final, is common in Japan.  World Computer Shogi Championship uses
the same style for example.

At last, I (and maybe most of the participants and spectators) felt
it's, more or less, exciting and interesting in fact.  If you were
here you shared it, I strongly believe.

Again, I'm not a staff of UEC Cup and above are just my personal
opinions.

Regards,

Hideki