On Jan 18, 2009, at 4:11 PM, David Fotland wrote:

I think it is too expensive to read ladders during playouts. I remember that you have faster ladders search code so it might not cost you as much. My playout code has no ability to undo a move or do any kind of lookahead.

Yes, my ladder code is fast. But it has been public for many years, I had figured others would have caught up on that.

My playout code also has no ability to do undo. If I remember well, adding a few simple tactical searches during playouts made the performance go from 20Kps to 15Kps. But it moved to a winning-rate of about 90%. Reading tactics has to be really slow for that not to be worth it. I did find a nice heuristic to cut in less than half the amount of tactical reading necessary without any noticeable loss in playing strength. I'll write it down one day, I think it may have applicability beyond tactical reading and be a general concept to be used during playouts.

Mark