I'm in favor of starting rounds on time, with remote machines either getting
a time penalty or playing locally (their choice).  The clock should run for
the remote machine as soon as the round is scheduled to start.  Once a round
is started the remote program cannot switch.  For example if it starts to
play locally, then the connection comes up, it must continue locally.  A
similar rule must be in effect for local players.  If there is a local
hardware failure and the local machine needs to be replaced with a new one,
the clock should start on time and should continue to run while the backup
local machine is prepared.

I'm also in favor of allowing restarts while the clock is running.  If a
local machine crashes, the program can be restarted (continuing from the
position at the crash), while the clock is running.  If a remote connection
is lost during a game, the game can be continued after the connection is
repaired, but the clock runs while the hardware problem is being fixed.  One
possible issue, if a remote connection goes down permanently, can the remote
program continue on local hardware?  I think this should be allowed (again
with the clock running while hardware is switched).

The only problem might be if we allow rounds to start early to make the
tournament go faster, especially if there is a round robin.  Both programs
should agree to an early start and if one has connection issues it should be
OK to delay to the scheduled start with no penalty.

I agree that the tournament has to have a predefined completion time, and
all rounds much be completed by that time.  There might be fewer rounds, or
some rounds might have faster time limits.  People make travel plans and it
can be expensive to change them.

David